For we live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Power of Friends

Me on the Beach!
The past week I was given a great gift, a trip to the beach. Though I had to be covered up and under umbrellas it was wonderful in so many ways on so many levels. The gift was given to me by a precious friend since about fifth grade Jenny Wingard. She took good care of me. We laughed a lot and stayed up talking late into the night each night. Thankfully I had great energy and didn't need a nap each day as I typically do. I did however snooze on the beach a little bit the last day we were there. It was nice to not feel so tired and gave me a renewed drive to be a bit more active now that I'm home. Of course within reason and not during chemo. Being at the beach with Jenny which we try to do at least once a year made me feel more normal than I have since my surgery. It was just a trip like we always take with a few adjustments given my diagnosis. It was a great get away and just what I needed.

It did cause me to think about how precious friends are and how much they add to our lives. I have been blessed with great friends many of which I've had since elementary school or high school. Not many people can say that. Throughout this illness I have developed new friends and closer relationships with old friends. My parents friends have also been right there for them and for me. I've learned a lot about what friendship really means by the humbling outpouring of love and generosity of my friends during this difficult battle. Sometimes I am completely blown away with how thoughtful people are and how just when I need it a card comes in the mail or an email pops into my inbox. I'm looking at beautiful daisies sent to me that have lasted for two weeks. I have over 300 cards in my "happy box" and on tough days I pull them out and read them and just feel my heart swell as I realize how many people have taken the time to send them. The prayers going up by so many sustain me in ways I do not even have words to explain.

So often when people are going through a difficult time we can be confused about what to do or how to help. I love that many folks have just done without asking. We've had meals and snacks for the cancer center and yesterday I came home to find that my sweet neighbors had cut my grass. Sometimes all people need is someone to be there. No fancy words, no big gestures just being there means so much. It's hard when people aren't there for you. Especially those you thought would be. Often that happens not because people do not want to be there for someone but they just do not know what to do or say. Let me help with this. IT DOESN'T MATTER! Friends just need you there in their corner. No special words, no special gifts, no specific plan just being there makes all the difference. I am incredibly thankful for all those people who are there for me every single day. So make it a point sometime this week to reach out to at least one friend. They don't even have to be going through something tough like cancer.
My best friend Jenny and I at the beach
It just means a lot to have someone there cheering you on even if you aren't facing any specific battle. You may never know how much it means but your friend will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles: they will run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31